The weather may have cooled slightly, but the bugs have left and there’s still plenty Colorado blue sky and warm days left to enjoy. If you haven’t already been looking for a hotel or Condo in Steamboat, now’s the time. Here are some top 10 reasons!
1. Steamboat Wildflowers – head to the higher elevations and they are still in abundance. Dumont Lake is our go to place, a sea of color climbing up from the Lake towards Rabbit Ears pass.
2. Strings in the Mountains – well into the season, the festival have plenty incredible musicians including Lyle Lovett on Aug 18 – the program covers all ages with youth events every Tuesday. www.stringsmusicfestival.com Look out for the free Music on the Green at the Botanical Park every Thursday from 12.15 until 1pm
3. Steamboat Rodeo – ye haw, grab your Stetson and head for the Brent Romick Arena in town, for an action filled night for entertainment, cowboy style. www.steamboatprorodeo.com
4. Steamboat Wine Festival August 7-11, who needs Napa Valley- at least for tastings!
5. Routt County Fair Aug 16-9 a little drive to our neighboring town for a fun filled day of all things ranchy. (Livestock, horse events, demolition derby, freestyle MotoX, barn dance and much more.
6. Steamboat Biking – hop on your own saddle for the Steamboat Stinger August 17-18 www.honeystinger.com or watch some of the best cyclists in the world from Aug 21-22 for the USA Procycling Challenge final of 4 stages. www.usaprocyclingchallenge.com
7. Hike or Bike Steamboat trails, everything is open and its’ pretty much all free (exception of the Mt Werner if you need a gondola pass). Long country roads following the rivers, or adrenaline junkie off road madness, it’s all there to be explored. Going on foot can take you totally into some stunning Colorado wilderness, head for Seedhouse Road and the Zirkels.
8. Fancy yourself as a bit of an iron man, show us what your made of in the Steamboat Olympic Triathlon at beautiful Lake Catamount www.steamboattriathalon.com
9. Steamboat Fishing – it’s been a fantastic summer so far, so grab pack the fly road and fish the Yampa. Head for Steamboat Flyfisher or Straightline for gear if you need it, license and fly tips to catch our big brown trout. (catch and release only).
10. Look to the skies for the Wild West Air Fest at Steamboats’ Bob Adams Airport on Aug 31. You don’t need to be a plane spotter to have fun, and kids love it.
All sounding a bit active? Sorry folks we are a bit obsessed with nature’s playground here at Condos in Steamboat. However, who can say no to a stroll through the Saturday farmers market, a soak in the hot springs, a picnic by the Yampa River or a spot of downtown shopping.
What are you waiting for? Steamboat Summers & Fall are the reason we stay here year round.